Sunday, July 8, 2012

Pulling an All-Dayer

My day can be summed up in three words: work, work, and more work. Since I had so much to do, I managed to stay inside my dorm room the entire day. I was even  forced to refuse multiple offers for a break, in fear of getting behind. The worst part is that the reason that I had to spend my entire day cooped up inside wasn't because of a pile of assignments that I had left to the last minute, but one, single project that I had already started a few days prior--my 5 page research paper. 

The topic for my paper is the following:

In Germany, the sale and ownership of Nazi memorabilia is illegal. Should the US limit the use of racist speech of by prohibiting the literature and objects of racial groups such as the Ku Klux Klan?

My argument is that the United States does not have the power to limit racist speech in any shape or form, as it violates that mandates set by the First and Fourth Amendments. At first glance, it seems like an easy stance to defend, but trust me, it isn't. It took me over an hour to find any relevant references, and even longer to figure out how to convey the evidence I found in a way that clearly supports my thesis. 

Writing a paper that based solely on legal arguments is something that I've never done before, so getting used to going so is somewhat of a challenge. However, I also see this experience as a great way to learn. When I go to college, I plan on becoming an English major, so being exposed to new types of writing styles such as this one is sure to help me reach my goal. 

As of know, I have 4 out of 5 pages completed. While that does sound like a lot of progress, I'm worried that I may be running out of ideas. Hopefully, I'll be able to get past my writer's block soon, as this paper is due tomorrow at 2:00 PM. For now, I guess that all I can do is keep calm and try to my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment