Sunday, July 1, 2012

Dumb Dumb Want Gum Gum?

It’s only been one week here at Columbia University but it feels like an eternity. I can’t imagine that just last week we were separating from Ms. L and the Beacon Hotel. Anyway let me tell you how I spent my second Sunday here.

After an eventful night of showering, talking, blogging, and sleeping- all in that order- I awoke at 10 AM. I called Morvarid and Adrianne to go have breakfast and after an hour we were off. We ate at Tom’s Restaurant, a quaint little place where the Seinfeld taped one of its episodes before. Apparently we were famished and the waiter made a few witty jokes about our appetites. It’s okay, we were all hungry in the first place.

Once we had our fill, we made our way to the gazebo at 12 PM to meet the group going to the Natural History Museum. Then we departed via subway and walked a few blocks until our destination. The walk was really nice; we got to see parts of Central Park and the heat wasn’t that brutal yet.








When we arrived at the museum, we bought our tickets and started our adventure through the exhibits. We went through multiple exhibitions, from African mammals to fossils of dinosaurs. I was in awe at all the astounding displays, especially those of Mexico and Central America. The ancient Incan and Mayan ruins have always fascinated me, so after seeing pottery and maps from different cultures I was left amazed. Morvarid and I even had a meeting with a few Native Americans. I saw the full cast from my childhood movie, “The Land Before Time.” Yup yup yup. Unfortunately I did not get a picture of Lucas doing the monkey face with the primate exhibition. It’s okay, the astronaut ice cream Morvarid and I made the day better.


So after wandering around the museum for hours, we decided to grab some much needed food. We decided on a hot dog truck right outside of the museum and we walked to Central Park for a small picnic. After relaxing for a few minutes, we headed back to the subway but not without enjoying Central Park. We took the longer route to see more of what Central Park had to offer; we even have plans to go rowing one day!

Once we finished our sight-seeing at Central Park, we traveled back to Columbia University via subway. After refreshing and napping, we left campus to eat dinner as a group with an RA. We ate at a dim sum and sushi restaurant called Ruby Foo’s. I don’t think anyone can understand my excitement at having Asian food after not having it for a few weeks. So after a filling dinner of dim sum and fried rice, we made our way back to campus after a beautiful night.

No comments:

Post a Comment