Sunday, July 1, 2012

Afternoon at the Museum



Today turned out to be another exciting day full of trips and new sights! My day started with a nice brunch at Max’s Café, along with my RA, Andrea, and a few other girls on my floor. After brunch, I went down to the campus’ gazebo to wait for yet another RA trip. Adrianne’s RA, Kristen was organizing a trip to the American Museum of Natural History! When we first heard about the trip, Lucas, Adrianne, Aurea, Morvarid, Brittany, and I immediately signed up—not only because it was a once in a lifetime chance to visit the Museum , but also because as official Columbia students, we got a discount!


While at the Museum, we explored every section that we could.  Some of the exhibits we visited were the Fossil Halls, the Hall of Reptiles and Amphibians, Biodiversity Halls, the Hall of Minerals, the Hall of Primates, the Milstein Hall of Ocean Life, the Hall of Human Origins, the Hall of Mexico and Central America. Personally, my favorite exhibits were the Hall of Minerals and the Milstein Hall of Ocean Life.






While it may seem like a lot now, when you actually look at the map, you realize that even after hours of walking, we barely saw even a third of the museum! There was a lot of walking involved with this trip, but there was also a lot of. For example, did you know that the Texas horned lizard survives by collecting water in between its scales? I found the trip to be very informative and interesting, and I would really love to go back that someday.

When we finished touring the Museum, we decided to take the scenic way home through Central Park. We even had a little picnic on the grass!

My final RA trip was much later in the evening; Morvarid’s RA Efrat had agreed to take us out for dinner. We ended up eating at Ruby Foo’s, a Chinese restaurant in Times Square.

Even though I feel really tired right now, I’m really glad that I decided to go on so many trips today; each one of them was super fun and they only make me even more excited for what’s next! Now that my first week of being at Columbia is officially over, I’m more than ready for everything coming ahead and anything that my student ID can get me a discount on. 

Double pan fried rice!











No comments:

Post a Comment