Monday, July 9, 2012

Chocolate, Pasta and Scraped Elbows

I'll be honest; I did not finish my essay last night. I had it about 3/5 done, when I went to bed. Luckily, it wasn't due until the second class section.

The first half of class was based around Supreme Court decisions relating to the Fourth Amendment (Search, Seizure, and Wiretapping). All of these cases were from the 20th or early 21st century, which made them much easier to read than many of our previous cases. The Supreme Court seems to vacillate between interpretations of this amendment, and both the majority opinions and dissents have valid arguments.

I spent all of my lunch finishing and printing my essay. I was actually pleasantly surprised with how it turned out. My essay was on Affirmative Action. I argued that Affirmative Action is both constitutional and justified, but that it needs to be adapted to modern day inequality; I think that modern disparity is based more on socioeconomic background and geographic location than it is on racial affiliation.

I felt a huge weight lifted off my chest after I turned in my essay. The second half of class was much more relaxed.We discussed the significance of the Patriot Act, its justifications and the results it had. We got out early.

At 4:15 PM, about 13 people from our class (including Adrianne, Lucas, Tomi and me) met in front of our building to go to a group lunch. The destination, was Max Brenner's, a restaurant that specializes in chocolate based dinners, drinks and desserts. In short, it was a lot of fun. I had a white chocolate milkshake and some delicious penne alfredo.

We got back to campus around 7:30, just in time to change clothes before the 2nd Manhunt. The last one was so much fun, that I had to do it again. There was a slightly smaller turnout this time, but there was still a lot of people. Lucas played this time, for the other team, but we never caught each other. I tripped and fell a few times while playing, but I was never very hurt. A couple scrapes here and there never killed anybody. It was just as much fun as before.

After the manhunt, I headed up to the 13th floor of Carman Hall with a few friends, for a "party." I put the word "party" in quotations, because it wasn't a very lively event, and didn't really resemble a party. It was basically just twenty or so people in a hallway drinking soda, while fiddling with the speakers. Realizing that it was boring, I went down stairs, to the 10th floor, to watch a movie with a few of my classmates.

I had to return to my floor at 11:00, because of curfew. Tomorrow, we wake up early to go on a field trip to a court house.

No comments:

Post a Comment