Friday, July 6, 2012

Civility and Righteousness

My morning today was just like the rest, so I'll skip straight to when class started.

The cases we studied today, centered around civil rights. We went over all of the most famous and prominent Supreme Court Decisions concerning treatment of African-Americans: Dred Scott v. Sandford, Plessy v. Ferguson, and both of the Brown v. the Board of Education cases. It's sad to see how terribly we used to address issues of equality.

At lunch, I attended a college admissions talk, centered around Columbia University. A Columbia admissions officer went over what Columbia and many other schools are looking for in a student. To be honest, I didn't hear anything new. I wanted to do a community service project at lunch today, but this was all that was available.

The second half of class was spent watching a movie. It was a documentary about how civil rights codes like the Geneva Convention were violated, directly following 9/11. The amount of evidence that places like Guantanamo Bay used torture techniques is staggering.

I spent most of my time after class sitting outside. I was working on a poem about my thoughts on NYC. I performed this at the Open Mic Night on campus, later that evening.

I'm sorry that my blog is so brief this time, but we are doing a lot tomorrow, and I have to wake up early.

1 comment:

  1. Since your class watched a documentary called "Torture and Democracy," and it affected all of you, may I suggest an excellent movie that deals with whether to torture prisoners to save NYC. It's "The Siege" with Denzel Washington, Annette Bening, Bruce Willis & Tony Shalhoub. It was released three years before the 9/11 attacks, but may have been inspired by the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center. It also deals with racism against Arabic-Americans.

    ReplyDelete