Monday, May 14, 2012

A Month In NYC

As the school year comes to a close, our ILC trip to Columbia approaches quicker and quicker. I could not be more excited, especially since I have never been to New York City! In all my travels, I have only been to Rochester, which is in upstate New York. I really like touring famous landmarks (without looking too much like a tourist, of course) and seeing museums, so this New York City experience should be the best yet.

A. Landmarks I'd Like To See 
1. Statue of Liberty 
Why wouldn't this be the first one on my list? The Statue of Liberty was a gift from the French to the United States. To me, the Statue of Liberty represents independence and the utter strength and courage that America possesses.

2. Empire State Building 
Although I suffer from a huge fear of heights (seemingly not from airplanes...strange), I would love to visit the Empire State Building. When people think of New York City - they think of skyscrapers! Although I'd prefer not to go from the top, I'd still love to spend time in this idyllic skyscraper.

3. Rockefeller Center
After learning after John D. Rockefeller in my AP United States History course last semester and how he seemingly "had the people in one hand and the government in the other", it would be interesting to learn about this powerful man at a center dedicated to him.
 4. Central Park
I like taking long walks or just relaxing, and Central Park would be an interesting place to relax and observe the beauty of New York.



5. Broadway

WHO DOES NOT WANT TO GO ON BROADWAY?! It's been a dream of mine to see at least one Broadway play. I wouldn't even care what play it was, as long as I'd get to see one then I would feel complete satisfaction.
6. Twin Towers Site 

The 9/11 attacks on America happened when I was six years old, and I only remember coming into my parent's room and watching as CNN filmed the 2nd plane crashing into the building - live. I think it would be interesting to learn more about these events in the place where they occurred.


B. Museums I'd Like To See
I'm really into history and cultures, so the top two museums I'd be interested in seeing are the American Museum of Natural History and Ellis Island Immigration Museum. I learned a lot about these two subjects in my AP United States History course but it would be interesting to learn about them from a museum and not a textbook.

The other three museums I would be interested in viewing are the Museum of Modern Art, Metropolitan Museum of Art, and Whitney Museum of American Art. Seeing different perspectives on art would be really interesting.






No comments:

Post a Comment