Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pinole City Council Meeting

Today, all of the ILC students from Pinole Valley High School (Including myself) were invited to speak at our local city council meeting. While there, we were each presented a medal for academic achievement by the mayor. Following this, we told the city council how thankful we are for this opportunity, and how proud we are to be representing our hometown this summer, on the East Coast. We took a group photo with the city council, that I believe Ms. Kahn (the PVHS principal) will put up in the school office soon.

After we spoke to them, the council gave us some words of praise and encouragement. I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet and converse with my local politicians. I was a bit nervous for this event at first, but after sitting through the meeting and receiving their warm welcome, I feel more comfortable with how my city is governed. I look forward to attending future local events like this.

I also had the opportunity to meet Mr. Litvin. This year he is the chaperone for the ILC program at Yale university, and I knew about him, because he used to work as an English teacher at PVHS. He was my sister's favorite teacher when she was a student there.

In total, I received a medal, had my picture taken, appeared on the local TV station, and got lots of practice shaking hands. All in all, not a bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment