Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Growing Through Brick Battlements

I woke up two hours before my class started. This was partly so I could take a shower in the morning, but mostly because that's when my roommate's alarms went off. Needless to say, I had plenty of time to get ready for class.

 Today's case topics were centered around capital punishment (as well as the 5th and 6th amendments). Like essentially all other subjects, the Supreme Court vacillated from case to case. The various justices throughout the decades disagreed on whether capital punishment was a cruel and unusual punishment, or a justified response to capital crimes. Personally, I think that it's a cruel and archaic way of dealing with major crimes, but that's open to debate.

I grabbed some food from the cafeteria, at the beginning of lunch, but spent the rest it in my room, studying. We had a test scheduled for the second half of class, so I thought a review might be necessary.

Studying paid off, because I got a perfect score on the test, as well as one of the extra credit questions. We had our second Constitutional Jeopardy game today. My team (Team High 5) did well towards the middle, and were in second place for a while, but we lost pretty badly towards the end.

After meeting with Ms. L. for a while after class, I went back to my dorm to meet with some friends. We went down a few blocks to get food at an Italian restaurant, and then bought chocolate from Westside Market. We got back on campus around 6:00 PM.

Today was the night of the Talent Show, which started at 7:30. There were a lot of excellent acts, and I even knew some of the other performers. A friend from my floor sang and Adrianne read a poem. I was one of the last acts, and I decided to read the same poem from the Open Mic Night. My execution improved dramatically since that last performance. I wasn't sure if the audience would be too interested in listening to poetry, but it got a really good reception.

After the show I met with some friends and hung out in their dorm until curfew.

No comments:

Post a Comment